zaterdag 19 mei 2012

The thing about Google Translate

So recently Google introduced its Dynamic Translate button for blog pages. Basically, it does exactly what you would expect: it translates the blog’s text from its native language into your own. Or that of any person living on the opposite end of the earth, if you would care. How dynamic is that. And yes, I put it into my blog for anyone to use.

A fine opportunity to spread the word of my running related stories thinly over the global pancake while potatoing the coach. No sweat, just a press of the button and suddenly the reach of my writings extends from the in-dikes living handful of wooden shoe wearing tulip digesters to the billions. Hello world!

That’s the good news. We recognize the ease of on-line translation since the Babel fish, MIB and The Doctor. Whomever came first, depending on their bended time quadrants. Just Google is not a black tie time lord that fits into your ear. It’s almost human. And it makes mistakes. It has an endless vocabulary. It has limited understanding powers. None, if your rule out algorithms. That’s the bad news.

And the original text of my blogs already tends to draw my fellow countrymen to Google Translate, trying to find meaning behind my words. Converting it into a different language will make that even more difficult.

Thanks for the button, Google. It will help to bring the words across. On my wandering thoughts while running, the facts on running apps, and none of the above. But sorry for the sentences, folks. I'm afraid translation renders them into lingual punishments.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten